Total Pageviews

Monday 16 May 2011

How to reverse type two Diabetes.

 
Johns story also known as Wallycorker on various diabetes forums.
 
This story describes the diet that I've gradually adopted over the last two years to successfully deal with my non-insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetes.

I'm a sixty-six-years old non-insulin dependent Type 2 on Metformin. I was diagnosed nearly ten years ago in the very early stages with a fasting level of 7.2 (130) and an HbA1c of only 5.7%. My situation slowly progressed - i.e. deteriorated - for eight years by following the "do not test" and " eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice that is so often given by healthcare professionals to type 2s in the UK. Even though my progression was relatively slow, around seven years later my HbA1c eventually reached 9.4% and my GP started to prescribe Metformin (1000mg per day) - and then around a year later he doubled the dosage to 2000mg because my HbA1C was still at 8.5%.

At that stage and against my Doctors advice, I started to test and by doing that soon came to understand the effect that different foods had on my blood glucose levels. By using that information and gradually changing my diet over the last two years, I have fully reversed my Type 2 diabetic situation. Today, all my numbers are better than they were at diagnosis - in most of the cases by a massive amount. If I went to the doctor today then by the most-commonly-used diagnostic tests - fasting blood glucose levels or HbA1c - they would say that I did not have diabetes. Moreover, any symptoms of diabetes that I had experienced have all disappeared

Basically, the main thing that I've done is to cut out almost all the starchy carbohydrates - e.g. cereals, bread, potatoes, pizza mainly but I'm also very careful with rice and pasta too. In my opinion this has been by far and away the main reason for my dramatic improvement in blood glucose levels.

My HbA1c has dropped from a high of 9.4% to in the 5s the last six tests - and a lowest-ever of 5.0% last time. I'm hoping to take it below 5% very soon. In November I stopped using Metformin altogether.

4 comments:

Lowcarb warrior princess said...

Way to go! John is an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling us your great success story

Anonymous said...

Well Done. I stick to 40 to 50 carbs a day my weight and bg stay stable.

Doug

Anonymous said...

Just read this. Great uplifting story.