Total Pageviews

Friday 6 May 2011

I knew I’d smelt a rat !

As old age creeps up on me my eye sight is not as good as it was. Don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty good and with glasses, I can read the bottom line on the eye test chart. “One sense that is still spot on, is my sense of smell. When I spotted Kens poll re. How many carbs a day do you consume per day“, my ancient schnozzle began to twitch. Calm down Madam, I’m referring to my nose. Anyway, just as expected, Kenny’s crew were quick to comment on Sid Bonkers (was ever a bloke more aptly named) new thread today, entitled, “How many carbs a day do you consume per day-chat thread“. I bet they were up all night working on that thread name.

So what’s the story so far. Surely this is not another attempt to put the boot in on low carb. A few comments.
 
“I too am amazed when someone who reinforces that low carb is the best option and then publishes an HBA1c above target levels even though they have been "low carbing" for ages. I always was led to believe by members that do not post anymore or have been banned that it was a quick method to gain control and led to amazing results in a short time.” Catherinecherub.

Catherine would it be possible to place on the forum, details of how you as a diabetic and non diabetic meds user, and on a low GI diet, holds an HbA1c of 4.9. How about a few daily food sheets, also your daily exercise schedule would be very useful. I am sure you realise you are very unique in holding that sort of HbA1c number. Have a day off from carrying Kenny’s briefcase, and let us know. Seriously, your story could help a lot of people, but let’s have some detail, other than it works for me, and we are all different.


“What it shows at present is that there is no one orthodoxy here as there is a broad spectrum of numbers.

It is a straw poll just the same as asking a group of people which way they vote. It means something to us ! We don't plan to do anything with the results, just in case the conspiracy theorist's wonder !” Ken.

Ken, you operate in a dietary world that the medics and all published scientific papers have no answer, what chance do I stand of questioning someone in your league.

“There is, and never will be one way to control diabetes, yes carb reduction works but to what level is purely personal and it shows that it is unnecessary to follow any doctrine set out by the likes of Bernstein or Atkins......although if someone chooses to follow this path when all else fails well that is fine....they have to find out what works for them!

I voted 'More than 130g' as I consume anything between 110g to 150g per day (dose adjust for each meal) which produces excellent results for me, I like many people who voted see carbohydrates as a essential part of a well balanced diet and see no reasons to change my view.” Noblehead
 
Nigel, you are an insulin user. The majority of type two diabetics, and that’s about 90% of all diabetics, are not insulin users. Far less than a 130 grams of carb would have them into double number BG’s in no time. Please note ! I am not commenting on your carb intake or insulin use. I expect with enough insulin, it would be possible to eat unlimited, carbs. I do not know what effect that would have on an individual. But looking at the appalling NHS stats re. type one control I.E. Percentage of Type 1 diabetics with HbA1c greater than 7.5 per cent = 71.4%, I suspect a lot of people are consuming a lot of carbs, and for the majority of type ones, their long term outlook is pretty poor.

So transparent is Ken and his crew becoming, I feel they should be part of our retinopathy tests. Let’s face it, if you can’t see what they are up to, an eye test is well over due.
 
Eddie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite the endless bumping of the poll the total votes cast amounts to less that 1% of the membership, hardly reflects the views of members then does it.

ALC