Total Pageviews

Monday 11 November 2013

Fat is good for your skin.

"Dietary fat gets such a bad rap among many health authorities, so it's great to see research demonstrating its benefits, including healthy skin. Despite what many people have been led to believe,  consuming fat --including saturated fat -- can reduce the signs of aging. Researchers in Japan examining the effect of diet on skin in over 1000 women found that those who consumed the highest amount of fat scored best in terms of wrinkling and skin elasticity, provided they also obtained antioxidants in the form of nonstarchy vegetables. 

Now, I know there are people who follow a low-fat diet and have great skin. I ate a low-fat diet for many years, and people still thought I looked younger than my age (or at least that's what they told me!)  But since I started low-carbing and significantly increased the amount of fat and saturated fat in my diet, I've definitely noticed that the quality of my skin has improved. My pores appears smaller, my skin is very smooth, and I never break out, which was a problem I periodically struggled with in the past.  I truly feel that my skin looks better than it has in years. Maybe it's a combination of high fat intake and improved blood glucose control from following a VLCKD?"



Franziska Spritzler, RD, CDE

Check out Franziska's latest post where she talks about ageing and the benefits of a low carb high fat diet. Franziska is 47 years of age and having met her recently, I can assure you this photograph has not been enhanced in any way. She is a person who can talk the talk and certainly walk the walk and without make up looks around 30 years of age. Jan my wife and one of the lowcarb team is 60 years of age and her skin is that of someone years younger.

Check out Franziska's blog and latest post here.

Eddie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very nice article. Since eating healthy for example meat, non starch vegetables. Cutting down on carbohydrates my health has improved. I can not comment about how I look, I think I do all right.
Diet makes such an improvement on health. I also walk each day.

Margret

Lynda said...

Well I'm 57 and get told all the time that I must have had my babies very young - most people don't believe my grandchildren are mine. Yes, people are kind but I get this comment constantly so I must be doing something right! 80ndlkep

Anonymous said...

I do think non starchy vegetables help.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Explains why so many diabetics have double chins and pot bellies

Ex Fat Bloke said...

"Explains why so many diabetics have double chins and pot bellies"

Nooooo stupid! it's the carbs ditch them and increase the fats and double chins and pot bellies disappear.

Lowcarb team member said...

"Explains why so many diabetics have double chins and pot bellies"

Not if they are lowcarbers they haven't.

Clearly you have quite a lot of blubber between your ears.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

I believe a reduction in sugar, sweets, high starch can make a big difference to all round health. I have reduced the amount of carbohydrates I eat, I have increased the fat. Lost a little weight and feel so much better. I have more energy which means I can keep up with the grandchildren much easier now. I do well and look better as kind members of my family tell me. It is a shame others are not so positive.

Laura

Lowcarb team member said...

Well, mostly positive comments. When we get negative comments for low carb come in I ask myself, why should someone care what others do. We don't tell others what they MUST do, we tell them what we do and what works for us.

I have come to the conclusion they are carboholics or possibly deranged. Either way, they are not the full ticket.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

"Carboholics"!!!!!

Get the mods quick, Eddie said the "C" word!

(Sorry, I've just remembered we're not on the old forum).

Ray